Darkroom… in progress.

20161012_125824-01bis

After more than two years since I started using film again, the inability to print my negs was becoming unbearable. Unfortunately I do not have any usable space in the house and I do not like at all the “flying solutions”. So I was  almost resigned to not being able to have my own darkroom for a long time yet. Recently, however, while they were undergoing some work in my garden, I decided to convert an old storage room into something more substantial masonry … and use it as a Darkroom, although devoid of running water (too difficult and expensive to achieve an appropriate plant).

After the construction of the masonry walls and wooden roof specially isolated, I find myself with a room of about 2,70 x 1,70 mt. more than enough to work comfortably. And so it began the search, both of the necessary photographic equipment, and of the materials for furniture and accommodation. Unfortunately, the recent revival of film photography has pushed up costs (eg of enlargersers) of things which until a couple of years ago, were practically given away in order to free up space in homes.

Anyway, I managed to get a good Kaiser VCP 6000 Pro with color head at an affordable price, accompanied by an excellent Rodagon Rodenstock 80mm f/4, to which I joined an EL Nikkor 50mm f/4 for 35mm and a Viponel timer. I chose the Kaiser for the fact that it is one of the few companies still in business and should therefore be easier to find any spare parts. Of course, finding the enlarger was just the beginning …. we do not realize how many things serve until it takes a truly hands: safety lights, spare bulbs for color head, easels, focus checker, trays, pliers, cutters, drawers etc. ect. Not to mention the photographic material (paper and chemicals) itself.

Also as far as the decor and logistics, the job is not easy. Moreover, while being very careful, it is not easy to control costs and realize all functional, even taking into account that I will have to make do with some plastic bin for loading / discharge of water ….

Despite the difficulties, the costs and the time involved, however, I’m satisfied and can not wait to start using my new darkroom. A few more days and then …! Stay Tuned !!!

(Versione Italiana)

Dopo oltre due anni che ho ripreso a scattare in analogico, l’impossibilità di stampare da solo le mie fotografie iniziava starmi un po’… stretta. Purtroppo non ho alcuno spazio utilizzabile in casa e non amo affatto le soluzioni “volanti”. Mi ero quindi quasi rassegnato a non poter avere una mia Camera Oscura per ancora lungo tempo. Recentemente però, mentre erano in corso alcuni lavori nel mio giardino, ho pensato di riconvertire un vecchio ripostiglio in qualcosa di più consistente in muratura… ed usarlo come Camera Oscura, pur se privo di acqua corrente (troppo difficile e costoso realizzare un apposito impianto).

Dopo la costruzione delle pareti in muratura e del tetto in legno appositamente isolato, mi ritrovo con un locale di circa 2,70 x 1,70 mt. ampiamente sufficiente per lavorare comodamente. E’ iniziata così la ricerca, sia delle attrezzature fotografiche necessarie, che del materiale per l’arredamento e la sistemazione. Purtroppo, il recente revival della fotografia a pellicola ha fatto lievitare i costi (ad esempio degli ingranditori) di cose che sino ad un pio di anni fa, venivano praticamente regalati pur di liberare spazio nelle case.

Comunque, sono riuscito a rimediare un buon Kaiser VCP 6000 Pro con testa a colori ad un prezzo abbordabile, corredato da un ottimo Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f/4, al quale ho affiancato un Nikkor EL 50mm f/4 per il 35mm ed un timer Viponel. Ho scelto il Kaiser per il fatto che è una delle pochissime ditte ancora in attività e dovrebbe essere quindi più facile reperire eventuali pezzi di ricambio. Naturalmente, l’ingranditore è solo l’inizio…. non ci si rende conto di quante cose servano finché non ci si mette mano realmente: luci di sicurezza, lampade di ricambio per la testa a colori, marginatori, focometro, vaschette, pinze, taglierine, cassettiere etc. ect. Senza contare il materiale fotografico (carte e chimici) vero e proprio. 

Anche per quanto riguarda l’arredamento e la logistica, l’impresa non è facilissima. Oltretutto, pur stando molto attenti, non è facile contenere i costi e realizzare il tutto in modo funzionale, anche tenendo conto che dovrò arrangiarmi con qualche bidone in plastica per il carico/scarico dell’acqua….

Nonostante le difficoltà, le spese ed il tempo impegnato sono però soddisfatto e non vedo l’ora di poter iniziare ad usare la mia nuova Camera Oscura. Ancora qualche giorno e poi… si parte! Stay Tuned!!!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Darkroom… in progress.

  1. Grande!
    Io in questi giorni sono nell’ultima fase della conversione di una vecchia soffitta a camera oscura. Avevo già preso tutta l’attrezzatura un paio di anni fa e mi ero adattato ad una soluzione “volante” come dici tu, poi però mi sono messo in testa di isolare e sistemare un po’ la stanzetta. Sono impazzito a progettare tutto ma è stato divertente!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s