Ok, it’s a long time since I published on this blog. The problem is that my move went for long and between the forced inactivity and the cartons still to be opened, I have not been able to develop some rolls which are waiting for months. But a true blogger can not leave his readers with no new posts for too long. So I went to rummage in the archive and I pulled out some shots. These images come from the first roll which I took with my Rolleiflex Planar 3,5F more or less a year ago. Continue reading
Some time ago, stimulated by certain images seen on the net, I wanted to try the Ilford XP2 Super 400 film. This stems from the XP1, which appeared in the early ’80s to make more widespread treatment of b/w and to provide less grain than other films of these times (which often had too much of it). I must have somewhere a series of negatives taken with the XP1 ….. The XP2 must be developed by the classic C-41, used routinely for color films. This could have been a major point in its favor, at least until the advent of the digital era.
As described in the second post of this blog, I recently made an “hazardous” test with a film (Adox CMS 20) rather difficult to treat, even with its dedicated developer. The test was done at box speed (ISO 20) and as developer, I used the Ars Imago-Fd. The negatives were rather “hard” and contrasted, though (at least when scanning) image data seemed well present in the shadows as in the highlights. But, the ultimate goal of an image shot on film is undoubtedly the wet print in the darkroom. Only on the final print we can make a judgment that has a real sense and evaluate details such as definition, grain, and so on.
As you can see, the experiments with infrared (IR) continue. As mentioned in the previous post, during the last photographic trip, besides the Ilford SFX 200, I shot a roll of Rollei IR 400, with the aim of developing it in new Ars-Imago Fd. A couple of days ago, I had enough time to do it and as first thing I had to find a starting time for development, given that it was a “first time” and there were no data about in the data-sheet.
After the first (successful) attempt with infrared photography (IR), I immediately wanted to try it again and so, taking advantage of a beautiful sunny day, I shot other two rolls with my “usual” Rolleiflex. The first, a Rollei IR 400 again, I have yet to develop. As a second, this time I used the Ilford sfx 200, to assess any differences in performance with the previous one.